Tuesday, August 03, 2010

BEDA10 day 2 The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Wow so, hello again from yesterday, how I have missed you.

So TODAY I went to see a screening of The Sorcerers Apprentice. It's the new disney film with Nicolas Cage and Jay Baruchel in it. It was ok. I was given the tickets by a nice lady who works at Disney, so I feel bad saying it was only ok. It wasn't awful or anything, it had it's moments and was  enjoyable enough, but I think the age range for this is probably the under 12 demographic rather than me, and it left me feeling a bit flat.

The trailer:


It's about a guy who turns out to be some distant relative of Merlin, and Nicolas Cage has to coax the magician out of him by training him in various ways. There was a totally nondescript love interest that (of course) caused all sorts of palaver for the young apprentice but inexplicably is still interested. I think the best aspect was the reworking of the fantasia sequence with mickey mouse and all the mops, which was really well done, and it was pretty cool to see New York being driven around with people throwing fireballs at each other.
 
I feel like Jay Baruchel, who I've seen in She's Out Of My League (which is surprisingly pretty great!) and a couple of other things (I think he's in Sex Drive?), is a good actor, and has been stereotyped (by hollywood) as the 'loveable nerd despite not being physically attractive' in movies where you're supposed to root for him because he's the charming underdog. But I don't think he's charming enough as an actor to pull it off. I want to like him, but there were little quirky reactions to things in this movie that if they'd been done by someone else would have been hilarious, but the cinema remained silent and things awkwardly moved on.

 Bleh, I don't know. I wanted to like it more than I did, and I can't quite put my finger on what it was that I didn't love. I give it two and a half stars out of five.

No comments: