Saturday, January 03, 2009

greek dancing is awesome

I went to an Engagement party tonight! It was awesome! I was worried that I'd look too dressed up but I didn't at all, everyone there looked amazing!! Me and my boyfriend Chris (it was his cousin's engagement) got there before ANYONE else (we are chronically late as a rule to anything because our respective tardiness compounds and makes us stupidly late to anything we go to together but today we were early somehow). LOADS of people came! Everyone but for about 9 people were greek, and I was worried that I'd be like the freak who everyone hated and I had visions of old women poking me and being like 'eh chris... why you going out with her for?', but luckily (and duh) nothing like that happened and everyone was lovely and inclusive and nice.

We all drank loads and then there was amazing food! And then! Dancing! I was excited to see the greek dancing because I've not really seen it before, and it was fun! mostly everyone in a circle and going round one way then the other, and there were like 3 circles one in the other. I wanted to join in but all the non-greeks were standing at the side all Englishedly reserved and I wouldn't have known what to do anyway. I got a bit choked up at some points because I am sad that my stupid lame 'culture' has nothing of the sort. My extended family is about 8 people. Seriously. And I see them once, maybe twice a year. It's just sad. And if we DID get together and have big exciting parties and stuff, what english dances are there?? Morris Dancing? Which women can't even do anyway. Or Country Dancing? (actually, I was in the school country dancing team and that was kind of fun til I got kicked out. For being late! (I was 9!!)) Any 'English' dances or things of this ilk are old school silly things which noone would ever actually do at a wedding or something- it would only be at a rennaissance fair or somesuch. The closest to a national dance we have is... what? The macarena? awkward dad-dancing? Getting so drunk that you pass out?*

Anywayssss I had an awesome time and enjoyed myself at the party- I danced a little after another of Chris's cousins showed me how, and it was so fun!! I was sad to leave but it was probably best that I didn't drink too much more free wine. I thought it was hilarious and awesome to see (yet another of Chris's cousins!) Antoni dancing (he came to California on our crazy trip in August) because he's so reserved and all 'I'm not doing that silly thing' and he was AMAZING at dancing!! Hahaha it was so funny! If you knew him you'd think it was hilarious, truuust. He did it with gusto.

I hope I get to go to the wedding where we (might?) get to break plates!!!!!!!!!! Also I've only ever been to two weddings and they were fun! I really like tradition things and I don't get to experience many of them (not going to church or having a family that ever does anything traditioney and all). Maybe I should get married! I have always thought of pretending to have a wedding and then not actually getting married, but doing it as an excuse so that loads of my friends and family all have to get together for a party! although they'd probably all hate me if I did.



*You know... maybe this explains a lot about Britain's 'drinking problem'- If you belong to any culture where awkwardness isn't bred into your DNA, and people just dance for the sheer joy of it without feeling like utter twats, you can just dance. because its fun. The British are so awkward that we can't just let go and be happy and have fun with abandon, except when we are drunk. We drink to get rid of our terrible terrible awkwardness the only way we know how- with booze.

6 comments:

Peter said...

Aww. This was cute.

Martin said...

Your last paragraph is absolutely spot on! I can honestly say I’ve never once danced sober before and sadly I don't think I actually could! I'm uber-British!

Martin said...

Thinking on about this a bit more it’s a horrible trait to have! I mean what’s the best that can come from it? My obituary saying “Martin was a great person who never once put himself in a position where he might have looked a twat when sober”. What a rubbish way to live!

In 2009 I’m definitely going to be less reserved and that includes dancing when sober. (Obviously at appropriate times, I don’t want to be inherently awkward anymore but I don’t want to come across as a fucking mental). I feel like I’ve grown today.

Jim B said...

Sounds rather folksy. Modern urban society tends to be colder in some ways. Too many strangers? Too impersonal?

NusaCat said...

I think you just called yourself too damn British!

johnifer said...

Speak for yourself! I prefer MDMA....