Sunday, January 04, 2009

Forvo pronunciation site

Hey there's this new website called Forvo. It is a pronunciation guide for people learning new languages, and I joined it to pronounce some words!!!
I get a lot of people emailing me who want to learn English and improve their pronunciation and my videos help them do that (somehow!) and so this might really be useful for them!! So far I've pronounced about 100 words on there, but there are loads of people doing it so there's a huge repository of words to listen to if you need them.
There are also a lot of languages on it too, so if you are learning French, say, and want to know how to pronounce a new word you aren't familiar with, you can find it on Forvo. And if it's not there, you can suggest it and someone who is a native speaker will pronounce it for you!

I specially added 'Leicester Square' for all London visitors :P

8 comments:

Glinda said...

You are such a good Witch !

P00P0STER0US said...

It's a super idea for a site. The play button doesn't work for me but I emailed them about it. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the site :o)

El Ășltimo sobrenombre que uso said...

.

Interesting site.

.

mark said...

Hmmm... there's English, then there's American, and then my favorite - Southern. And just to confuse the issue, a little Creole he do, him! Odd that's not on the list?

(yes i am a knothead)

aspire2enquire said...

it's a bit annoying that some of the English words have been pronounced in American English, I guess that's a challenge for British users to keep up with them and correct words like 'mascara' and 'double cross'

Deborah said...

This site is a godsend!

Jim B said...

I especially liked Bryony and Cheshire cheese.

Phil said...

Do "Battersea!"