Sunday, June 29, 2008

How To Make Smores

I had heard of the word 'smores' before, on various American TV shows, but I had never figured out what they actually were, being generally an american thing. Then when I was in San Francisco, I met Aaron/JackDanyells one evening and our conversation moved onto them (I forget why) and he explained their delicious recipe.
I thought he was talking about 'gram' crackers rather than 'graham' crackers, which we don't actually seem to have in England, so despite attempts to make them, it's never really worked with McVities Chocolate digestives (my favourite kind of biscuit, FYI) too well. The next time I go to America, I plan to buy them (I literally have a shopping list of things I need to get when I next go to the US (Cetaphil, US Letter sized paper, Keebler cookies, a thousand tacos)).

So yeah anyways, me and Alan tried to make them last time we had a barbecue, but we didn't melt the marshmallows before-hand so they kind of didn't work too well, despite being tasty. 

12 comments:

Simon said...

It never occurred to me that letter sized paper would be something unique to North America. Are we talking about 8.5" X 11"?

Claudia said...

I don't eat smores enough.

Eshniner Forest said...

Taste is good. :)

Pixie said...

I didn't know American's had different sized paper :S

And I was also never really sure what a smore was until today, so thanks for that! :)

NusaCat said...

If the marshmallow catches fire, just blow it out and stick it in the smore. It's not ruined unless you let it burn too long.

Be prepared to get chocolate all over your fingers...and the rest of you if you aren't careful.

Nunya said...

I had something very similar to "graham crackers" the last time I was in the UK (they just weren't perforated), but you can also make your own with graham flour and cinnamon.

It's no fun without a wood fire, though; if I knew you, I'd send you one of these.

random.spectacle said...

that's crazy that you call crackers... biscuits. Now you made me hungry for smores!

Dave said...

No service in the British Camp Fire Girls' Association or Girlguiding UK?

Heather said...

mmm, i've had s'mores since i was a young-un, sitting around the campfire with my family. we always loved roasting the marshmallow for my mom, because all you'd have to do was stick it in the fire, let it burn for a bit, and voila! it was perfect.

my suggestion: add peanut butter. (!!!)

Nikki said...

In this age of the internet, how can you live without Cetaphil, US letter sized paper, graham crackers and Keebler cookies? (Okay, the tacos might be harder to obtain.) Can these things not be shipped directly to your door? This must be remedied!

Also, if you are that big of a fan of tacos, or Americanized Mexican food in general, you should check out Chipotle next time you are in the States. You won't be sorry.

Nunya said...

or she can just go to a real mexican restaurant, instead of one that was a subsidiary of McDonalds corporation.

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.