Sunday, April 06, 2008

April 12th Gathering in London

A few people have asked me if I am planning on attending the London April 12th gathering, and my answer is... no.

I have been to 3 UK gatherings now, and two American ones. The US ones are fun for me, and the UK ones generally make me feel like a giant loser creep.

The main reason for this I think is that the US ones are attended by people who are all different ages, and who are mostly American. Americans are much less awkward and English about it. They come and talk to you, people have a good time. It's not awkward. The UK ones are the opposite. The only people who go are kids, so I get to be the oldest one there which makes me feel lame, and everyone just shuffles around not talking to each other. It is so. Awkward. The same creepos with cameras who just film me and don't interact with me are at either kind of gatherings, but the UK ones it seems much more pronounced.

I am sorry if this offends anyone, but seriously, its fucking creepy and loserish to do that!! I am not a zoo animal! I don't mind if you film me but atleast say hello to me!

Also, another factor is that I am not really friends with many UK youtubers. I talk to Molly and BenLoka and WhataboutAdam, and my brother... and that's about it. But Molly is in Canada and Adam is in Ireland, so they're unlikely to be at them, and I live close enough to Ben for us to just hang out whenever if we wanted to. And my brother is my brother so I always see him! So there's not really anyone I am especially jazzed about meeting. I don't really even WATCH many UK youtubers.

So... yeah. I don't plan on attending any more UK gatherings. If I happen to be in Central London on the 12th (isn't that a Monday anyway?) then I will come and have a look. But I'm really not digging the idea to the point at which I would miss work to hang out with a bunch of people I don't know.

I am, however, planning on going to 888 in Toronto. A bunch of my e-friends are going! And it's in a fun place I haven't ever been before. So.. yeah. Sorry if anyone was hoping to creepily film me from afar and not talk to me whilst standing in Leicester Square.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol...there go a couple hundred more subscribers...oh well, it will probably RAIN on that day.

leonwestbrook said...

I can only imagine if you were filmed at over 9000 angles and not even spoken to.

I will *try* to be at 888 too. I hope to see you there. I"m 50-50 at this point.

Dan said...

Damn! There goes my plans for April 12th.

Seriously though, I went to one of the London ones (the one Renetto went to), and yeah, it felt really awkward. Don't think i'd opt to go to another one either.

Eshniner Forest said...

Interesting. I'd like to go to canada. I would like to live thier in the future... because its gooood! :)

insomniac-krys said...

That really is creepy. I guess Americans are more open to talking to random people then Youtubers is London.

Anyway, have fun at the 888 in Toronto. If you've never been there before, its just like any other city with it's common strange, creepy, and normal people. Not to scare you off or anything - just saying its like any other city in America. Although, if you like shopping, then check out the Eaton Centre ... it's a tourist location, but also a great place to shop.

JJC1138 said...

The UK YT crowd at the gathering I went to (August last year) did seem to be substantially younger than the US YT crowd. I'm glad you find them awkward too; I'd assumed it was just because of my general social ineptitude.

J gets fit said...

The UK gatherings are shite.
I've been to one ... where Renetto attended, and it was shit - but towards the end of the night, where the kids had gone home, only adults were left (along with kwaichi and blade376 - both of which I don't rate very highly at all - both attention seeking).

If perhaps the locations were changed, instead of ALWAYS being in Leicester Sq, perhaps a better mix would show.

However, I'm 28, and don't take my camcorder to many places with me, so if you do fancy a wander and a pint, I'll be up for that! - oh, with a quick walk through the gathering too I suppose lol)

J

tejayce said...

i dont blame you .. totaly agree with you actually. i just think its sad you are so focused on the other side of the globe, and have to spend a lot of money to get there. it isnt the rational thing to do. and i dont think anyone else would do it, the other way round. actually i havent heard of anyone else besides you, doing smth like that.

Anonymous said...

Do I hear Oasis in the background?

dlf420 said...

It sucks for me that 888 is so far away. I'd hoped it would be closer to NC than that, but, I hope all of you have alot of fun!

vclamp said...

Well I'm not going to the London gathering either, so i certainly won't see you there. *Waves*

Austincovello said...

Aww... and here I had your zoo cage all picked out and everything. It even had a sign that said, "Please don't feed the Paperlilies."

888... depends on what my situation is.

roygbiv said...

Heh, I had a similar thought; imagining PL in the middle of the crowd circled around her as they're taking pictures and filming like paparazzi; she's looking rabid, waving her middle fingers in the air yelling like a sheep "baa-aa-aaa! baa-aaa-aaa!
is this what you wanted fuckers?!? come and get it!"
Oh that would be sweet.

Anonymous said...

"creepos with cameras who just film me and don't interact with me" "I am not a zoo animal!" CCTV?

Anonymous said...

people creepily watch you from afar on youtube everyday

beef said...

i dont see how a gathering of random youtube people could be anything other than boring, awkward and shit.

Danueil said...

I live in Texas, so it's going to be hard. But, I'm going to try to make it to 888 in Toronto. Though, I'm not sure if I'll be able to. =(

Davidhok said...

Im sorry I sort of filmed you outside of Tracys Karaoke bar like that in nyc but I really was making an effort to talk to you its just that sabrnig (I think her name is) was talking to you quite intensely and I couldn't get a word in edgewise ha ha..Sorry for creeping you out if I did. The time I was able to talk to you was a brief comment about how Kimberleigh couldn't come and then Sabrnig was back. No disrespect to Sabrnig tho shes cool.
Sincerely davidhok