Tuesday, March 11, 2008

OMG U ATE A BUG

This post on cracked.com (which, incidentally seems to be pretty new but is full of interesting crap like this), about all the crap that is in our modern foodstuffs.

I guess you are supposed to feel gross reading it, and the general bullshit that the food industry tries to pull does rile me a bit, all their 'all natural' and 'no added sugar!' claims despite being full of aspartame and other artifical sweeteners (that make me have migraines) make me angry. But as for eating insects? Well, whilst I wouldn't want to do any 'bush tucker trials' and would never willingly eat a live insect, the thought that red food colouring is made of red beetles doesn't bother me really at all. Nor the shellac thing either. Or the horse tallow being used to cook french fries (in france). I sort of feel like any animal is fair game. If I am going to eat a pig, cow, chicken or sheep, why not a horse? Or a cat or a dog even! If I was required to kill and dismember them, I don't think there is a single animal I would be able to physically turn into meat, but if someone else wants to do it for me and cook something delicious, then I would probably try it. So long as it doesn't look too gruesome once it gets to me. Sure that's a cowardly way of looking at it.

And consumers DO need to wake up and realise that there is all sorts of crap in what we buy and consume. 'sugar free' only means there are sugar substitutes that have half the calories but ten times the cancer in them. That 'natural flavour' is non-commital. And etc.

13 comments:

mr smovies said...

I agree sugar is probably better for you than pretty much all the artificial sweeteners out there.

Anonymous said...

My mum didn't let me eat gelatine when I was a kid 'cause she thouhgt I was gonna get CJD.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts on meat exactly. I often think about it. Many in my family enjoy hunting, but I can't even think about killing a defenseless animal. However, I don't seem to have any problem eating Prime Rib, Filet Mignon, Turkeys, Chickens, or anything swine-like. It's not gonna change either.

I can't even think about the bugs. I know they're all over the place.

Dave

JJC1138 said...

I'm a vegan and I hate how industrialisation isolates people from the whole killing thing.

If I ruled the world I'd make it illegal to sell dead animals, or to kill an animal for someone else as part of a business. I bet you the world would be 99% vegetarian within a week.

Anonymous said...

Don't mind the Additives - we regularly unknowingly eat bits of Insects that contaminate food:)

daniel- day lewis said...

This is why I stick with milkshakes.

Goose said...

Give a cow the chance, it'll kill you where you stand.

"half the calories, ten times the cancer", that sounds like a good advert. Supposedly people have dropped dead from drinking sugarfree soft drinks to often. But i suppose in america they drink two liters aday.

George Bernard Shaw said...

Based on that logic Johnathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" should be taken seriously for Homo Sapiens are also animals. Homo Sapiens are actually mammals and herbivores.
"Animals are my friends-and I don't eat my friends."
-George Bernard Shaw

Anonymous said...

MEAT! IS! MURDER!

vegetarian now

roygbiv said...

Cheese filled breakfast-sausages wrapped in bacon are good for you.

bayard rustin said...

Isn't man an amazing animal? He kills wildlife - birds, kangaroos, deer, all kinds of cats, coyotes, beavers, groundhogs, mice, foxes and dingoes - by the million in order to protect his domestic animals and their feed. Then he kills domestic animals by the billion and eats them. This in turn kills man by the millions, because eating all those animals leads to degenerative - and fatal - health conditions like heart disease, kidney disease, and cancer. So then man tortures and kills millions more animals to look for cures for these diseases. Elsewhere, millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals. Meanwhile, some people are dying of sad laughter at the absurdity of man, who kills so easily and so violently, and once a year, sends out cards praying for Peace on Earth.
David Coats, Old MacDonald's Factory Farm

Alicia Silverstone said...

I know what it feels like to be hurt,and I don't want to cause that pain to any other person or creature. But somehow, in society, we numb ourselves in order to make money or to feel better about ourselves, such as with cosmetics or food. We say to ourselves, I'm going to use this animal. I'm going to say it doesn't have much worth so that I can allow myself to do these cruel things. And that just isn't fair.
-Alicia Silverstone

Alicia Silverstone said...

Being vegan helped me realize I can say and do what I believe is right. That's powerful.
-Alicia Silverstone