Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Get off my internets

Channels like Charlieissocoollike and mememolly and uh, most channels around the place I am on the most subbed list all have such huge video views for their recent videos. Meanwhile I feel like my videos just struggle to get views. Comparitive to them anyways.
Molly is happy to make the sort of videos that do get lots of views, and she sounds posher than me, and edits and makes more effort in general with her videos, and charlie is clearly very into the whole e-fame thing, does charity things and gatherings and whatnot. And that's fine. I know I have lost (for now) my love for youtube and editing. It's only pride that makes me want to win win win.

Lately I have seen a few things which have inspired me a lot in terms of making videos. One is Jackdanyells video 'Comfort Zone', which is a little strange, but he makes a good point, about being uncreative when inside your own comfort zone, which is absolutely true. Another is the awesome AndyMcGaffigan channel. Another is a tiny horoscope I read yesterday which made me laugh out loud (I may scan it later).

I really feel like I have a huge scope to do something with youtube. Not something 'great' per se, but something great for me, something fun and that I can look back on as some sort of amazing feat. I LOVE Zefrank, and despite my dislike for their derivative-seeming approach, I admire the drive that VlogBrothers have/had. The sense of bringing a collective together to create something more than they can indivicually is very inspiring, and I think that is where i want to go with youtube next, in some way.

I loved doing the art competitions from long ago, but they were just a whim and to amuse myself more than anything. But I think that kind of interatcivity to create some sort of huge thing that could not otherwise exist would be amazing and something to be proud to be a part of.

And hey, it might increase my views :P

OH! also! Also Perez Hilton! of all people. I realised how he just does what he does. He is who he is. And it works. I have been trying for the last year to figure out what I am 'supposed' to do with youtube and there is no 'supposed to'. I just need to channel my inner Perez (ew) and do whatever the fuck I feel like. Talk about what I want to talk about, about the stuff I like and the stuff I hate, regardless of how I think it might look. I just gotta be myself!! *cue cheesy titles and anti-drugs message*

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh...i'm not sure what you mean by not many views. the nalts video was viewed by fifty thousand plus people...the earthquake vid forty plus...20 plus for the one after that...

SuperJV said...

you still have a huge audience, miss Lilies.

Anonymous said...

I think you lost a lot of views when people didn't watch to the end of a certain video.

Well, that's what some people have told me.

BadAlbert said...

Struggle to get views? Surely you jest? Here's an experiment, I dare you to put out a 5 second video of you yawning, no words, just a yawn. I bet you a fiver it gets loads of views and comments.

Anonymous said...

You haven't been very enthusiastic and seemed a bit down in recent videos. That transmits itself to viewers.

Anonymous said...

LESSON 1 (REVIEW)

Topical + Pretty Girl=Views/Subscribers.

CLASS DISMISSED

Dave

Anonymous said...

you said:
"I know I have lost (for now) my love for youtube and editing. It's only pride that makes me want to win win win."

really? winning is not done over here on the viewer side - it's done when you make a video you like and it may or may not click with us common folk. Now you can cue the "The More You Know" and the "AfterSchool Special" music...

And if you just want views you can be sXeLillies right now with a low top, random celebrity crap etc. but you won't get 'quality views' which are not yet tracked by YouTube.

In other words, fuck quantity, go for quality - whatever that means to you.

I second 'badalbert's dare but I bet you don't have the guts.... ;>

Simon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simon said...

Yawn FTW!

Anonymous said...

Didn't like the yawn video, wants to make you yawn if you watch more than once.

Anonymous said...

"Also Perez Hilton! of all people. I realised how he just does what he does. He is who he is. And it works. I have been trying for the last year to figure out what I am 'supposed' to do with youtube and there is no 'supposed to'. I just need to channel my inner Perez (ew) and do whatever the fuck I feel like. Talk about what I want to talk about, about the stuff I like and the stuff I hate, regardless of how I think it might look. I just gotta be myself!!"

YES! This is exactly it. Because when you give an honest opinion of what you think, you're being true to yourself. And you will attract to you like-minded people.

It will also cause controversy which will attract viewers who disagree with you. That's one of the reasons the tv show 'The View' over here in America is so successful. They just pick up a magazine or newspaper and give their opinion on what's going on in the world.. for better or worse.

Why not let your favorite magazine or blog do the work of finding fresh, topical subjects for you? You could select the ones you find most interesting and talk away. :)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Take care and have fun!!

iiSwanSongii said...

I think when we all first start to 'youtube', we are making videos for ourselves. Then when we start to get encouraging comments, and positive ratings our goals run the risk of changing. It's important though to really make sure that doesn't happen. You can't please all of your fans (i hate that word) viewers i mean, all of the time. There are videos i made in 1 hour, that received a higher rating and way more views than a video I worked hard on and loved when I was done...and it only received 3 stars :( But all in all, you keep that 3 star video public because you still love it and move onto the next video idea :D I have a text file that I keep a running list of ideas in. I tackle one at a time and anticipate the first comment. I'm sure you get way too many views to do this any more, but I have to say, for the haters or spammers who spam my videos...no link feels more powerful to me than the 'block user' link!
I think I may have digressed a little...

Look forward to your future great videos :D