Saturday, March 01, 2008

Before I Die, time capsule

The laptop I had at uni got broken back in 2005, and it was sent away and all that they returned was the hard drive. I bought a housing for it the other day (I didn't even know this was possible til my boss told me about it!), and I finally got to look at a capsule of my life from the last year of university.

Most of it was stuff I had copies of elsewhere, uni work, dissertation things, etc etc. University detritus. There was an email a guy I liked at the time had written and somehow I had a saved copy of it. There was a long article about Gabriel Garcia Marquez which I meant to read at the time and never did (still haven't).

The most poignant of them all though, was a list I wrote, of things I wanted to do before I die.

The most amazing thing about this is that I have actually achieved a bunch of these things already. I don't think I ever expected to achieve them truly. And even after it, I still don't know if I feel like I have done enough. I'm not satisfied!!
Anyways, the list is below.

Before I Die

New York (live) (job - museum/shop/design co.)
Paris (live) (job - museum? v expensive)
San Francisco (live) (job - museum/shop/design?)
california work at disney?
Texas

Build a house (Africa?)



adopt a chinese baby

learn to drive
have a pastel 50's american car






Make money:
Graphics-
get paid for graphic design work of some kind
do work with some friends
make a zine (publish and sell on the stall?)
work for a graphic design co. (overseas? need to support self during this)
sell work to paperchase/liberty's etc - eg. wrapping paper


jewellery-
sell jewellery,
get outlets/have a business

Have own shop/boutique - London/manchester/leeds/new york/san francisco?


stall:
jewellery
packaging
business name
website
zine?comics?paintings?

shop distribution?



I should rewrite this list perhaps, though I don't know what I would add to it. It seems like it's a bunch of things which are mad flighty dreams, never achievable, despite having actually achieved some. God I feel so OLD!
They really weren't all that big of a deal. It's just life.

10 comments:

Goose said...

It wouldnt be impossible to do all those things, but it would be very hard to be successful in all those things.

The reason people dont do everything they want before they die is mostly to do with conflicting interests. They get married and the partner has dreams which differ, so you have to compromise and make up new ones together.

It doesnt matter about doing those things really, if you still have that list in 50 years im sure you'll have done alot of amazing things that are'nt on the list, which you never would have dreamed of doing now.

Claudia said...

I have a notebook of life goals similar to your list! :)

Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of the Dilbert comic I read this morning. :-) You can add "build time machine to make out with Gene Kelly."

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. Forget about Youtube if it doesn't move you anymore. I like your videos and blog because you come across as being down-to-earth. But you're way too talented, interesting and attractive to be tied down to YT, fame or not.

I thought during your net-fast, you would've made specific plans like re-connecting with nature, or anything to give your mind a break from the online world. I know one girl who had an internet addiction and was told to do volunteer work to break it, which it did.

It's nice having goals, but fate plays its part. What would happen if you did do everything on that list, make another list? The one thing I saw missing was "Fall in Love and live happily ever after."

Anonymous said...

I'm all out of advice these days and i'm so overawed by the comments on you blog that i think i'll just feed the fish now!

Anon:)

Ps Take a flight in a balloon.
Save a life (you might be able to combine the two there:) And be loved for who you are and not what you do. Oh you already did that:) - i'm going to feed the fish!

Annaconda1984 said...

(-:P maybe I should do a list of mine at some point. It's very similar to yours. I just started my blogspot today btw. I have to pimp it up a bit.

Anonymous said...

You need to think outside the square. Your ambitions are very pedestrian and banal and unoriginal. You're the typical product of too much hollywood/mtv etc brainwashing and propaganda. You need to empty all the shit out of your mind and soul and start of over.

Anonymous said...

edit about comment

should read:

You need to think outside the square. Your ambitions are very pedestrian and banal and unoriginal. You're the typical product of too much hollywood/mtv etc brainwashing and propaganda. You need to empty all the shit out of your mind and soul and start over.

Anonymous said...

edit above comment

should read:

edit above comment

should read:

You need to think outside the square. Your ambitions are very pedestrian and banal and unoriginal. You're the typical product of too much hollywood/mtv etc brainwashing and propaganda. You need to empty all the shit out of your mind and soul and start over.

Anonymous said...

Thats one of hte good things about lists y ou can rewrite them the thing I like most about lists is the way the words go down the page all in a straight row one at a time downwards I hhope uyou have a good day too