Sunday, February 10, 2008

e-fast

Ok, so everyone knows, I am going to have a 'fast' from the internet from this monday coming (the 11th) til the following Sunday. I'm going to film myself for a minute each day of that 6 days, which I will then make into a video.

I'm not going to do anything recreational online whatsoever! Unfortunately, I have to still check my work email, so I can't totally swear it off. Alas! But this should be a huge change for me, as I check my email so many times a day.

It's not that I don't want to use it ever again, but I really do feel such a reliance on it, an addiction even, thatI think I should test myself.

6 comments:

Austin said...

Money on you getting the shakes by day two.

Dave said...

Like the guy above said. You're a fraud Paperlilies. You'll never last. You're an addict. You can't get off the pipe.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be funny if we all went on an e-fast and didn't ever come back because we realised there is more to life than the internet?

My line of work interacts with the Internet everyday. Wish i could just run off to an island somewhere and just forget the Internet ever existed.

One day it shall be.

Karissa said...

I gave up all technology for 5 days as part of an experiment for an article I was writing.. Not as easy as it sounds, good luck. =]

(I cracked after 30 minutes and had to call and admit this to my friend who was also involved in the article so we could restart the experiment. =|)

CatchFlipsidE said...

I'm completely and totally addicted to the web. I won't deny it for a minute. If I even tried to do what you are going to do, w/in just a few hours you'd find me in the fetal position in a dark corner of my house rocking back and forth sucking my thumb.

Mike said...

this is kind of an interesting project. i think sometimes i check email too much and maybe a fast would be good on that count.

i've noticed paperlilies does marathon painting, and this fast seems similar in that you're forcing yourself to do something, or not do something, for a prolonged period of time.

i wonder how many other people do this sort of thing, and what the value is of it? i've tried, for example, the album-a-day project, (http://crapart.spacebar.org/aad) which is essentially writing an album in a 24 hour period of 20 minutes, at least, in duration, or a certain number of songs.

any other interesting 'self-forcing' projects people engage in that are fun or useful otherwise? are artistic personalities attracted to this approach? people with jungian personality types of INTP?