Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cloverfield

I just watched Cloverfield! It's really good, on the ONE hand, and on the other hand, there are lots of things which make me kind of 'but why?'.

I recommend it though- if you don't know about it, it follows a bunch of people in NYC which is being fucked up by some kind of mad monster thing. The city is being evacuated, but one bunch go back to save someone in midtown. The whole thing is filmed on a guy's camcorder, so it's really shaky and, well, camcorderey. This means that some sissies have gotten motion sickness when they've watched it at the cinema. I found the hand-held quality really worked well and was very effective at making the whole thing chilling and scary and confusing and realistic seeming. At times I wished they would have sweeping camera shots or just external shots that weren't this camcorder guy, so you could get your bearings, but well, it's obvious that that would have been dumb.

Anyway, I thought it was good, so... there.

7 comments:

Austin said...

Cloverfield is one of maybe 3 or 4 movies n my life that Ive went to see more than once in a theater. I thought it was awesome. Obviously I would have liked them to give some background info on the monster, but I think they walked the fine line of keeping the monster captivating by not doing this. This film reminded me a lot of the Blair Witch Project except with 1 millionth of the budget. -Btw, both times I saw this movie people I was with had to step out of the theater for motion sickness??

Austin said...

Cloverfield is one of maybe 3 or 4 movies n my life that Ive went to see more than once in a theater. I thought it was awesome. Obviously I would have liked them to give some background info on the monster, but I think they walked the fine line of keeping the monster captivating by not doing this. This film reminded me a lot of the Blair Witch Project except with 1 millionth of the budget. -Btw, both times I saw this movie people I was with had to step out of the theater for motion sickness??

some sissies said...

A Chimpanzee on rollerblades could have held the camera better. With all the non-stop yelling and screaming, it was just annoying.

--N-- said...

It made me feel sick and all my friends think it's utter shite. I quite liked it though.

Anonymous said...

It sucks. The best thing about the whole movie was the marketing.

Anonymous said...

I liked the movie very much. Though there were only 9 people in the cinema. Might be because me and my friends went to the 12.50 show on a thursday right after school we had no more classes. At least we did not have any more classes. The monster looked a bit like a mutated human to me, though it might be because i have a weird imagination. And those small monsters looked like a space monster from Starship Trooper, the onces with a very large mouth(?). But did those little ones spawn from the big monster?

After the movie i felt kind of weird because it was still noon and the sun was still shining.

Though the movie was full of plotholes. It was still a enjoyable movie which i wanted to see again in the cinema right after i saw it.

DWing said...

Hmmm, I am not a sissy, but I sure as hell got a little bit of motion sickness...not to the point of puking, but I had to look away times...I felt it was relentlessly shaky...and they could toned it down a bit, but I suppose in the name of realism it was justified. I don't tend to form proper sentences, do I?