Friday, January 18, 2008

Graphic novel

Jezebel just reminded me that the guy who I was saying died (Brad Renfro) was in Ghost World! I effing love that movie! I totally forgot he was even in it! Maybe because they totally changed a ton of stuff from the comic, which I know much better than the movie, wherein the Brad Renfro character is way less cool than Brad Renfro was, making me forget his character entirely.

Actually, as much as I love some things about that movie, there were a lot of things they randomly changed from the comic which made no sense. She never has sex with Seymore! Eww! That doesn't happen in the comic! Enid would be all 'EWW! GET AWAY FROM ME PERV!'

I realise I sound like my dad bitching about Spiderman movie/comic indiscrepancies, but superhero comics usually have long story arcs (arcs? lines?) and go on for thousands of issues. The stories change all over the place (and then turn out to have been in a parallel dimension, or a dream, or somesuch). Ghost World was one graphic novel (I hate that term) that was made into one movie. Why did they feel the need to change anything??
And what happened to the girl with cancer on her face? From the book? That they see in the cafe?

It has been a while since I saw that movie.

In further comic-related news, yesterday I received an American Comic compendium (I'll find out the actual name later when I get home) edited by Chris Ware, who is awesome. (from my Amazon wishlist!!! Thankyous to come soon!) I carried it around all day in my ever heavier bag (now my back, it hurts!) and read bits of it on the train from place to place. It is really great, it has exerpts from lots of different modern comics (you know, graphic novel comics) and one of them made me cry! I will scan it later when I get home. It was by a woman, and had a little strip ofwhat her and her young daughter did on a sunny day. It's very inconsequential (our skirts puffed up like cakes in the wind! We ran inside!) but the last frame says something like 'It was 1987 when your time was solely mine'. Its making me tear up now!!!

I don't know what it is about things that are wistful about childhoods past that make me so soppy, but gosh, they do. You know the ends of movies where they have a recap of all the characters lives after the movie, and it says 'Frank went on to have a family, and worked in the paper mill all his days, and Mary moved away to the city and married a banker' that makes me cry!!! I guess it has something to do with the endless possibilities of youth, and the inevitable tedium that ensues. I don't know, but it is seriously the one thing that is guaranteed to make me well-up.

8 comments:

Austin said...

"I don't know what it is about things that are wistful about childhoods past that make me so soppy, but gosh, they do. You know the ends of movies where they have a recap of all the characters lives after the movie, and it say"

What do you call that? Its similar to nostalgia, but not...*tear*

roygbiv said...

The Giving Tree will do that for me...it was a present from my mom when I was turning teen...

Dave said...

Yep, like the final recap scene in "Sleepers" which is enough to make Superman crack--so to speak. John and Tommy end up murdered. Shakes quietly moves through life. Carol has a boy and names him Shakes. And, Michael retires to the countryside because he's just had enough of it all.

The Shakes/Carol recount at Father Bobby's apartment was intense too.

Right?

NusaCat said...

...and they lived happily ever after!

celine dion said...

Near...far... wherever you are..
I believe that the heart does go on...*SOB*

JJC1138 said...

Do you like this bit in Toy Story 2? Sends shivers down my spine. TS2 is definitely in my top... 5 films.

Anonymous said...

People tend to dwell on the past.

Anonymous said...

Finding that book on your wish list was pure serendipity. It's good to know you enjoy your copy as much as i do, but i guess you have to blame me for the sore back and making you cry too! More parts than i care to admit give me a lump in the throat too so we are sort of even there!