Sunday, December 30, 2007

I never liked the music of the 90s

So, I don't know how much this makes sense, but I am writing this in response to a blog post here, from Kim's coolio blog. She posted a bunch of songs from the 90s that she loves/d and it made me realise how much I was just not into music then.

When I was at school, I was still totally in love with the Beach Boys, and The Mamas and The Papas, yet I was totally ashamed of my dorky music tastes, and pretended to have a clue who Pearl Jam were like my friends. I once totally got tore to shreds by stupid Louisa cause I didn't know who the people out of some band like Cast were (who are cast?? Exactly!). Anyways, I never liked the Foo Fighters til I was in 6th form, I never really cared about Reef, or Smashing Pumpkins, or any of the stupid ass bands my friends liked!

I secretly loved Steps (STEPS!!!!! Oh for shame) and SClub7 for some reason. I also have a 98Degrees single. These were my private shame.

There were a few bands I actually liked, like Kula Shaker (they're coming back!!!) and My Vitriol and, I dunno, Sleeper? Oh, I liked Oasis quite alot, and never liked Blur til much much later.

Anyway, there's no real point I am trying to make, it's just funny how those songs Kim posted (with the exception of 'Peaches' by The Presidents Of The USA) just left me cold. I don't feel the flush of nostalgia for them like I do with the songs I did love.

I am probably over-stating the case with all this, because I wasn't contantly petrified that my daily Steps-singing would be found out, and I didn't spend my whole life living a lie pretending to love music I hated, I did like SOME of it, I just wasn't so into it as I pretended I was.

7 comments:

shadx said...

hearing Pumpkins' Gish and Siamese Dream was pivotal to me back then, as was when Nevermind came out, Pearl Jam getting big, the whole grunge thing (fuckin media)
but I was listening to college radio more often and then came the beginnings of shunning mainstream radio and the death of rock (to me, at least anything "new" coming out just seemed like rehashed bullshit and metallica started sucking, Layne Staley dies) mid-90's on it seemed a dramatic shift towards electronic, specifically hearing Massive Attack and Portishead for the first time.
I think it was like that for lots.
Now the yearning for rock has come back in the form of proto-punk, psychedelic, 50's-60's rock, even new-wave punk...
I have never heard of Cast, Steps or SClub7...wasnt 98Degrees a boy-band?
But you were probly at that age...
What about BloodSugarSexMagik? Anything?
Horses for courses yo.
I said I was gonna fuck off but had to say my cents on 90's music.
Now I have to bug Kim about it.

Alexandrou said...

90s music was rubbish, actually. I never really listened to it either- have to admit I also had a steps album Im pretty sure it was actually one of the first albums I bought XD How tragic.

Dave said...

Pearl Jam, outdoor concert for six (6) straight hours, because the opening act had to leave the tour. They played nearly every song twice, and "Black" like three times. The weather was nice. The modern-day "hippie chicks" were even nicer. Ah, yes.

And, then, of course, on the opposite end of the whole Seattle scene, due South to Cali, you had Dr. Dre and Snoop ("G Thang"), Ice Cube ("It Was a Good Day"), Dr. Dre and Tupac ("California Love"). Come on, P, the 90s owned. Apparently, you were just rolling with the wrong crowd and getting bullied by "Louisa".

But, yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Beach Boys and Mamas & Papas either. It just means that you hung out with your parents a lot and had more exposure to good music than the average poser. My parents introduced me to the Doors, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, and Marvin Gaye, and I certainly don't regret it.

Kimberl(eigh)y said...

haha! Isn't it funny how people can have such different reactions? I love the songs I posted <3 I want to make 198232 mix tapes of songs like them. I'll know not to send you one! haha! :D

P.S. I love the mamas and the papas too, but they came later for me than the music I was talking about <3

BadAlbert said...

Kula Shaker are coming back? Truly the apocalypse has dawned!

Brandt said...

I've been very much into music for as long as I can remember. Mobile DJing, DJing at my college's radio station, working at a record store, DJing at clubs, and just listening in general.

While I still do my best to keep up with the latest music of the day these days, I do enjoy the occasional reach back to Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm, Stabbing Westward - What Do I have To Do, Joan Osborne - One Of Us, Garbage - Queer, and oh so many more.

CatchFlipsidE

NusaCat said...

"6th form"? Is that like 6th grade in the US?