Friday, November 23, 2007

Ruminations on what Nintendo DS game to play next





I want a new DS game, but I don't know what to get. I love CSI, and there is a CSI game out on the DS now, but I am always wary of those sort of games because they tend to end up either impossible or ludicrously easy. There is never any red herrings, you just end up following the same trail, where every clue is an actual clue and not something random that doesn't matter. You also have to get every thing, and its often some tiny thing you don't even notice because you have to scan over an area and you don't happen to scan over the single pixel where some fingerprint is, which cracks the case.


The same happened in Phoenix Wright (a game wherein you play the part of a defense lawyer), which was a great game, but sometimes you were just wandering round looking for the right way out, as there WAS only one right way to put something across, even though there ought to be numerous ways of showing in court what hypothesis you want to put forward.

These sort of detective-type games always tend to dissapoint me, because even if they are non-linear and confusing to a point, they are always going to be hampered by the linear way games have to be programmed and written (I guess).

So, yeah, they always feel like I am trying to work out the next thing you are supposed to do, rather than the next logical thing I would do if presented with the situation at hand.

ANYWAY, I digress. So that's why I am not too jazzed about getting the new CSI DS game.

Other than that, I don't know. I kind of fancy playing Katamari, which ought to be on the DS, but is on the PS2 and the PSP, though I don't have a PSP and I got rid of my TV the other day so I can't very well play on my PS2.

I played whichever Mario game it is that has those kid versions of Mario and Luigi, which was ok. I wasn't blown away by it. I don't like playing scary/horror games, I don't like the idea of those pet games (Nintendogs, etc) because they look hella boring to me, I feel like I have played Animal Crossing to death, and I know that when I start playing that again my town will be covered in weeds, and I bought Cooking Mama the other week which is pretty boring, I find.

I turned on Zelda again last night to see if there was anything new to do now that I had my fancy sword and all the different tools, etc, but there wasn't anything very exciting. So I guess I am done with Zelda now.

I might go and gey Phoenix Wright's sequels. Those are good because I like playing them before I go to bed, and as it is so story based, its like reading a book. Which means it's easier to fall asleep to....

9 comments:

Meg said...

meh, i'm just getting myself guitar hero, when i can peel my ass off my chair from World of Warcraft.

Simon said...

no reviews for CSI yet but a useful list anyway:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/ds/scores/

bigheadandtinyeyes said...

There's nintendo DS version of Transformers game, why don't you try that one?

manapa99 said...

hmm i've never been a fan of detective games. I wish i had a DS, i bought a GB advance when they first came out and just couldn't see getting the ds right when they came out. I have too many game systems that i hardly play as it is. I love my wii but i haven't touched it in almost 4 months cause of guitar hero 2 and 3. Its a delima PL i hope you find a cool game.

tejayce said...

i find it intriguing you started to talk about games right after talking about the job stuff etc ...

JJC1138 said...

Have you heard of "Elite Beat Agents"? It's a music game with a really sweet setting and pretty decent music. There's a (not very well done) review of it on my YouTube channel. It's the #9 DS game on Metacritic and Game Rankings.

Phuckmii said...

What I really want to know is where you stand on the FIFA v Pro Evo debate???

Patrick said...

Gad, PL, have you been at my house?!
My wife: Animal Crossing obsessed (plays 3 personas).
My (teenage) daughter: Phoenix Wright and all his sequels on her DS.
Me, I just play my (REAL) guitar, even though it's "for old people".

Sara said...

My boy has a special card that allows us to download any DS game off the net and so... I probably tried every game there is. I kind of feel the same way as you about games, so here are my recommendations. Do you like minigames? As in, tons of different games that last maybe a minute each. I urge you to try WarioWare: Touched. You'll get hooked instantly. There's also Feel the Magic and The Rub Rabbits, which are both really funny. I'll leave you with that for the moment. :)